“All disease begins in the gut” Hippocrates
Hippocrates, known to many as the father of medicine stated that ‘All disease begins in the gut’ more than 2000 years ago.
From a nutritional point of view, I have to say I agree with him! The second biggest area of work I focus on (after children’s health) is the gut but why is our gut so important and so influential?
Firstly, there’s what it’s supposed to do and then there’s what it’s probably doing!
- It should manufacture vitamins and minerals, enabling absorption of nutrients, this gives us energy amongst other things!
- It should manufacture neuro-transmitters to balance our mood, sleep, stress and cravings (the gut is highly influential over our brain, in fact many call the enteric nervous system the ‘gut brain’. Brain in your gut!
- It should help to metabolise toxins including effectively utilising excess body fat, if you’re struggling with body-fat sort out your microbiome!
- It should support your immune system, in fact the majority of your immune system is in your GI tract.
- It should help to process your poo effectively.
- It is even linked with regulating high blood pressure.
- It can help you be slim (or not).
Here’s what it’s probably doing!
- Reacting – trying to deal with stress and the artificial stimulants we use to counter it.
- Protecting – trying to assess what ingredients can be metabolised from ‘foods’ it doesn’t recognise.
- Hunting – looking for vitamins and minerals that are lacking in the diet.
- Fighting amongst itself – many ingredients we ingest and apply are ‘alien’ this causes the body to react in a different way than it does with food and can weaken immune system.
But what does all of this mean to our health?
Well, put simply many people have forgotten or never known what it feels like to feel healthy! Many people exist putting up with; tiredness, aches, headaches, body fat, low energy, needing sugar, weak immunity and just think that’s how it is. It doesn’t need to be!
I work on a 21-day plan to support the gut microbiome, this is a combination of a meal plan and supplement kit to kick-start and re-set your gut health making your body able to do what it should and enabling you to feel ‘healthy, vibrant, energised, in control of food and rested as quality sleep is crucially important to overall health and fat loss’.
My 21-day programme gets these results and more: –
- Average 3-6% fat loss in 21 days with a drop to a further 1-4% in the following weeks.
- Average of 2-5 inches from the abdomen and resulting drop in the waist-hip ratio.
- Reduction is diastolic blood pressure over 21 days.
- Increase in restorative sleep.
- Decreased/removed cravings and improved palate.
- Improved mood.
- Pain reduction including rheumatic.
- IBS/D – huge improvements in symptoms of bloating and bowel issues, totally removing the issue in some cases.
- Improved athletic performance and recovery.
- Increased mobility.
- Improved management of autoimmune diseases and Fibromyalgia.
- Increased energy.
- Improved management of CFS.
- Supported Adrenal fatigue.
- Huge improvements in managing stress, anxiety and depression.
Of course, I mainly get asked about weight loss and the results when you re-set your gut is amazing – your body is finally able to properly metabolise fat and you’re not constantly battling hunger and cravings so the weight loss is sustained.
I offer gut microbiome clinics out of 3D Lipo Leamington Spa and I also work on a 1:1 basis and host gut health lunches in Market Harborough.
For more information please do get in touch.